Tuesday, January 08, 2008

Where Does the Denver Broncos Franchise Rank All-Time?

I recently read a statement about the Denver Broncos that I immediately disagreed with but it was one of those times when I wasn’t sure why I disagreed. The quote was that the Denver Broncos were only of the most successful franchises in the NFL. Now, when I think of the NFL’s most storied and successful franchises I think of the Dallas Cowboys, the San Francisco 49es or even the Pittsburgh Steelers but not the Denver Broncos. Is that fair?

Denver has won ten AFC West Division championships, six conference championships but only two Super Bowls. Any sports nut could tell you that is an impressive resume but my opinion is that it doesn’t stack up among the NFL’s elite. If you were to take a quick look at the greatest players in Denver Broncos history you’d find that that seven of the ten division championships, five of the six conference championships, both Super Bowl wins come during the era of one player, John Elway. Perhaps the answer to our questions is that the Broncos have produced some of the best players of all-time but don’t yet have the team accomplishments to be labeled one of the best franchises of all time.