Monday, April 30, 2007

Chiefs Missed Opportunity with Green


I wrote two weeks ago that Trent Green would be a Miami Dolphin by the end of that week. Well, obviously I was wrong but part of the reason why is because it seems that Kansas City team president Carl Peterson is about as stubborn as they come.

The Dolphins offered Kansas City a sixth round pick draft pick for Green over the weekend but Peterson balked at the offer keeping Green in a Chiefs uniform for right now.

I don’t see any scenario in which Green remains in Kansas City and now that the draft has come and gone I don’t see any way the Chiefs get anything for him. Kansas City already has a ton of money tied up in quarterbacks Damon Huard and Brody Croyle. They would owe even more to Green should he remain on the roster which would give them two quarterbacks getting “starting money.” The Chiefs would be fools to let that happen and now the only alternative is to cut him to avoid his salary.

Green had also already inked a deal with the Miami Dolphins that was contingent upon the trade going through but I’m sure can be adjusted to sign as a free agent. As to why Kansas City would turn down an offer for a guy they most likely are going to release anyway, I’m not the only one confused. You can throw Green’s agent Jim Steiner in the in the dazed and confused mix as well.

"At this point, I don't know what the Chiefs are going to get for him from the Dolphins. I don't know how they get anything," Steiner said on Sunday.

Share your thoughts on this article and the NFL Draft in the My Opinion on Sports Forum.