Thursday, July 06, 2006

Just Like Wrestling, Only Real


I have to admit, I used to like professional wrestling! I remember Ted Dibiase before he was the Million Dollar Man, and his side-kick Dr. Death Steve Williams. I remember when Skandar Akbar was the worst villain around. I remember when I found out it was all fake!

All those years I had enjoyed the hatred and the rivalries and it turns out these guys were buddies when the cameras were turned off, needless to say that I was a disappointed 12-year-old.

Now something better has come along! Guys who really hate each other and throw elbows, knees and fist, they body slam, choke and kick like the Karate Kid. And here’s the best part, it’s all real.

I first got hooked on UFC by watching the reality show on the Spike channel now I watch the fights it every opportunity I get. Two guys, in peak physical condition, talk smack, train, talk more smack and then beat each other to a pulp. It’s even more pure than boxing!


I’m paying money Saturday night to watch a fight for the first time since Tyson bit Holyfield’s ear off but it won’t be a corrupt boxing match or a fake wrestling match I’m watching. It’s the real deal, Ken Shamrock vs. Tito Ortiz in "Bitter Rivals" the grudge match!

I’m taking Ortiz to win. Shamrock is past his prime but feels like Ortiz, and the whole world for that matter, owes him something because he was one of the UFC pioneers. Regardless it should be a good fight. Both guys hate each other and make no bones about it. They would be satisfied to put one another in the hospital. Man, I feel like a kid again.