Thursday, June 15, 2006

A’s Sweep the Mariners


Things are so bad for Seattle right now that a drunken pitcher who spent a night in jail this week beat them on Thursday.

Esteban Loaiza earned a win Thursday after spending one night in jail this week, and Oakland beat the Seattle Mariners 9-6.

"I was thinking about a lot of stuff, but when I got to the ballpark I just wanted to stay positive," Loaiza said. "I can't say much but I can say I'm sorry for what I've done for my teammates, for the Oakland Athletics, major league baseball and the fans. It can happen to anybody and I don't want it to happen to anybody else. I'm sorry for everything."

Loaiza faces drunken driving and speeding charges after police clocked his Ferrari exceeding 120 mph on a freeway near San Lorenzo. He was jailed early Wednesday after he failed a sobriety test, California Highway Patrol spokesman Mike Wright said. The right-hander was released from jail later that day and is scheduled to appear in court July 14.

Oh yeah, I was only Loaiza’s second win of the season.