Thursday, April 20, 2006

Iowa State’s Leading Tackler Dismissed for Illegal Substance



Iowa State’s leading tackler, LB Matt Robertson, has been dismissed from the team after testing positive for a banned supplement. Robertson started every game last season for Iowa State.

Here is the statement from head coach Dan McCarney:

"Matt Robertson is no longer a student-athlete in our football program. Ultimately, I have a deep feeling of sadness because Matt Robertson has always been a team player, an academic all-Big 12 performer who was as good in the classroom as he was on the field. He can still help the team by graduating. I'm confident he will. Let there be no doubt, however, his decision was unacceptable and he knew better than to use a supplement that is banned by the NCAA. Matt is paying the toughest penalty a student-athlete can face, not playing again for his school. His example as he carries on in the future should send a message to all young people that mistakes can have major consequences. We will continue to test our student-athletes frequently as a school, through the Big 12 and through the NCAA. We are not ending our relationship with Matt and will do everything we can to help him be a success after he leaves Iowa State University."

Robertson took full responsibility (are you listening Barry Bonds) for his actions and issued an apology to his teammates and ISU fans.

"I take full personal responsibility for taking an over the counter supplement that is banned by the NCAA. I am paying a heavy price for a very bad decision, as I will never again wear an Iowa State uniform. I want to apologize to my teammates, my coaches and Iowa State fans. I hope my example will serve as a warning to others contemplating use of dietary supplements. I want to emphasize that the decision was mine and I accept the consequences.

I want to apologize to my teammates, my coaches and Iowa State fans," Robertson said. "I hope my example will serve as a warning to others contemplating use of dietary supplements. I want to emphasize that the decision (to use a supplement) was mine and I accept the consequences."

While ISU is not confirming the details on the banned substance, their quotes carry the sugggestion that Robertson purchased supplements on his own that may have contained something other than the ingredients listed on the label.”

This kid made a horrible mistake but is handling it with lots of class.