Monday, February 27, 2006

Davin Joseph's Post-Combine Diary


Former OU tackle Davin Joseph checked in again with SportingNews.com reporting on his weekend performance.

Here are a few excerpts from his draft diary.

On trying to sleep the night before his workout.
After I finished eating, I got ready for bed and I was hoping to be asleep by 10:30 p.m. But I started thinking about the next morning and I actually got nervous. I was trying to picture everything in my mind and I guess I got myself so worked up I just could not fall asleep. I knew Saturday was the day I had dreamed about for so long, but for whatever reason I could not find a way to fall asleep so I could literally dream about it.

I tossed and turned for about an hour and a half. My roommate, Mike Bell, couldn't sleep either, so we ordered a movie.

On his performance.
I think the 40 must be the most hyped-up drill in all of sports, but I still recognize its importance. Once I stepped up to the line, all I could think about was how everyone says this one drill can make or break a player. I had all these thoughts running through my head and I was starting to get nervous again. But then I just let it go and ran as hard as I could. The first time I think I ran a 5.15, I'm really not sure, but the second time the electronic clock had me down at 5.09.

I am definitely pleased with my 40 time because I met the goal I had set for myself. In fact, I reached every goal I had set prior to the Combine. I had a broad jump of 9 feet 3 inches and a vertical of 32 inches.

How he feels about his draft status.
Now that the whole Combine experience is over, I think I accomplished my goal of proving that I was the most athletic guard out there. It also can't hurt that my agent is pleased. He somehow knew my Combine results before I could even call and tell him. Right now he thinks I put myself in a position to be drafted late in the first round, and that is an incredible feeling.

You can read Davin’s full draft diary here.