Thursday, February 23, 2006

Davin Joseph on the Scouting Combine


Former Oklahoma guard Davin Joseph has agreed to keep an online journal for the Sporting News as he goes through this weekend’s NFL scouting combine. Here are a few quotes from Joseph’s latest entry.

A little about his first day
Before taking more physical tests, we had another meeting where we were told what was expected of us this weekend and how to conduct ourselves in interviews. This is all old stuff to me by now, but in a situation like the Combine, it is easy to get irritable and lose your temper. I think the best way to control that is to have fun with the interviews and the poking and prodding of tests. Yes, it gets annoying at times, but it will happen only once, so you have to go in with a positive mind-set.

What teams are interested in him
Finally, I interviewed with team representatives from about 8 to 10:30 pm. I interviewed with a lot of teams at the Senior Bowl, but last night I talked to the Raiders, Bucs, Seahawks, Packers, Jets, Titans, Panthers and Steelers. Hopefully I didn't miss any, but I know I have more interviews today. They were all asking similar questions about your outlook on life, family history, goals and so on. You have to make sure you are consistent with your answers, though, because the NFL is like a big fraternity and they definitely share information.

What’s Next?
Today I will be taking the bench press test and I hope to get in at least 25 reps of 225 pounds. Then I am sure there will be more team interviews.

I can't wait for the offensive line workouts Saturday morning. It's time to show what I got. I know everyone hypes the 40, so I want to make sure I don't run slower than 5.1 seconds. I just have to be ready to flip that switch and go full speed.

You can read Davin's full journal entry at the Sporting News.com.