Wednesday, November 02, 2005

Gillick, Phillies' new GM

Pat Gillick, whose resume includes two World Series championships and nine playoff appearances, signed a three-year contract to become the Philadelphia Phillies' new general manager. He replaces Ed Wade,who was fired after failing to get the team into the playoffs in eight years as the general manager.

``His record of success is outstanding and I believe that Pat is the right person to lead our baseball operations,'' Phillies president David Montgomery said Wednesday. ``I'm very excited that he has decided to join us, and I look forward to working with him.''

``I'm very honored to be a part of the Phillies, an outstanding franchise,'' Gillick said. ``We need to get over the hump and I look forward to that exciting challenge. I still have the passion and the competitive edge for the game and I think this is a very good situation.''