Monday, September 05, 2005

Bomar Sooner!


As quickly as the Paul Thompson era began at OU, it seems to have come to an end. Redshirt freshman Rhett Bomar will replace Paul Thompson as the Sooners' starting quarterback for Saturday's game against Tulsa. He will have the opportunity to give the Sooners offence the spark that they lacked in Saturday’s season opening loss to TCU.

``We're going to give Rhett Bomar an opportunity to start and see where he takes us,'' coach Bob Stoops said Monday.

Bomar played in four series in the Sooners' 17-10 loss to TCU on Saturday and completed 2 of 5 passes for 19 yards. On his first play after substituting for Thompson late in the second quarter, Bomar faked a handoff to tailback Adrian Peterson and rushed 28 yards down the right sideline.He also was responsible for a turnover that led to TCU's winning score.

Stoops didn’t feel as if Bomar had a chance to do much.

``He only threw five balls. He didn't have nearly the number of snaps and preparation coming into the game ... He's had the fewest number of snaps overall when you look at his amount of time here and he's been that close all along that we feel maybe giving him more opportunities, more snaps, maybe he'll do more with it. We'll see,'' Stoops said.

``I have a great opportunity to go out there and do some things to establish myself,'' Bomar said. ``I'm really excited. This is what I've been working for. It's what I've been trying to do all my life and now it's here.''

Bomar said he is confident that his next performance will be different from the first one on Saturday.

``I want to play, I want to keep playing. That was my No. 1 goal coming in here. I'm going to go out Saturday and prove I can be the guy.''

Saturday may not give us all the answers as the Sooners take on Tulsa at home, but one thing is for sure, they have to make some changes and corrections before they travel to UCLA on the 17th.

The quarterback position isn’t the only position in question either. The offensive line created not space for All-American running back Adrian Peterson to run and left very little time for the OU quarterbacks.